Tuesday, February 17, 2015

What makes Uri's Unique?

Part 1

I believe in my heart that there are several things that make us unique. One of the biggest things is our kitchen dynamic. We are putting out top notch food all made from scratch with high school and college culinary students. Now most kitchens that are putting out food like ours would have an executive chef, sous chef, pastry chef, and several line chefs all that have been cooking for several years. Here at Uri's all our cooks except for one current students or prior students to the culinary arts program that I teach at the Sanilac Career Center. For many this is there first job and they are thrown into the fire, so to speak, to cook at a very high level much faster than any where else. These kids are very talented and dedicated to their craft.

Teaching is a new passion of mine and a huge part of why we opened up the restaurant last year. After teaching for a couple years I realized there are very few places in the local area that the kids from my program could go and get a summer job and really see if they wanted to go onto culinary school. When opening the restaurant I made a promise to myself to hire as many kids as I could and also find some other local restaurants that the kids could really learn from. So far this has been working great.

The level of respect that these kids deserve for working so very hard, in a very hot kitchen in the summer, plus the amount of hours that they put in is incredible. They have all earned my respect as a chef and I am proud to have them on my staff.

So I would like to say thank you to our students and staff that help mold these young adults because we know that can be challenging at times.
Kayla Crane
Beth Mckenzie
Gunner Stewart
Nick Kohn
Chandler Dumont
Kendra Crane

2 comments:

  1. The dinner my husband and I enjoyed for Valentine's Day was simply wonderful. The décor is so very elegant and the view is breathtaking! Your passion for food really shows and I am sure we will return - much more frequently. Thank you for all that you do with your students. Warmest Regards, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara,
    We are very glad you enjoyed your dinner and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

    ReplyDelete